Established in 1919, the Rotary Club of Bridgeport and its members have played an important and historical role in the development of the Greater Bridgeport Community. In its first year the BRC purchased land on Lake Zoar and donated it to the Boy Scouts of America, establishing the first site of Camp Pomperaug.
In 1927 the club sponsored the creation of the Junior College of Connecticut, which later grew to become the University of Bridgeport. The club and members also have played pivotal roles in the establishment of the Bridgeport Engineering Institute (later the Engineering College at Fairfield University) and Housatonic Community College.
Community needs have always been a priority for Bridgeport Rotarians, who in 1967 led the establishment of a community fund that became the Greater Bridgeport Area Foundation. The establishment of the Bridgeport Rotary Housing Corporation enabled the construction of Sycamore Apartments (1974) and Laurelwood Apartments (1982), has provided over 200 affordable housing apartments to elderly and/or disabled tenants. The Rotary Housing Apartments were chosen as the District 7980 Centennial Project in 2005.
In 2015, having divested its housing properties, The Bridgeport Rotary Housing Corporation dissolved and its assets were transferred to the Bridgeport Rotary Club Foundation, a 501(c)3 charitable organization. The BRCF supports and funds the many service initiatives conducted by the club and also provides grants to community organizations that perform service aligned with Rotary International's Six Areas of Focus.
Bridgeport Rotary has played a vital role in District affairs, with five District Governors coming from the club ranks. They are Albert Lavery (1924), Erwin Jennings (1935), Abe Gordon (1989), Bob Vossler (1997) and John Annick (2001). Abe Gordon has additionally served as Rotary International Director (1998-2000) and Vice President (1999-2000). The club sponsored or cosponsored the Rotary Clubs of Danbury, Newtown, Trumbull, Bridgeport Sunrise and Black Rock.